Schedule of Events
Sunday, May 18th
What's Brewing Downtown?
Time:Panel discussion 4-5pm, Reception 5-7pm
Location: Mission Brewery, 1441 L St, San Diego, CA 92101
Learn how the booming craft beer industry is making community and economic development connections and growing the Brew Tech sector. Enjoy a cold one during this interesting Q&A session.
Moderator: Dr. Gonzalo Quintero, PhD, Craft Beer Tasters LLC
- Vince Vasquez, NUIPR
- Omar Passons, Senior Counsel, Stutz Artiano Shinoff & Holtz
Monday, May 19th
Location: Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM), 350 Tenth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
8-8:30am: Breakfast, Welcome and Networking
8:30-9:00am: Opening Keynote
Michael Ault, Executive Director, Downtown Sacramento Partnership
Prop 26 and Legislative Changes:
John Lambeth, President, Civitas
9:00-10:15am: Master Talks
Lean Urban Design Pioneers:
Mike Burnett, AIA, FoundationForForm Architecture & Development
New Trends in Downtown: Clean & Safe, Homeless Solutions:
Kerry Morrison, Executive Director, Hollywood BID
Chris Beynon, AICP, Director of Planning & Design Services, MIG Consulting
Data and the Consumer, What Cities are Doing:
Councilmember Mark Kersey
Social Media: What’s Out There – Get Famous!:
Dennis Erokan, President, The Placemaking Group
Infill Development & Innovation:
Bill Fulton, Director - Planning, Neighborhoods, and Economic Development Department, City of San Diego
10:40am-11:25am & 11:30am - 12:30pm: Breakout Sessions
Trends & Tools for Downtown Retail Development & Financing
Learn from retail strategist how to get new retail into your neighborhoods.
- Mike Berne, MJB Consulting
- Matt Goulet, Vice President, Kosmont Companies
- Lauren Schlau, President, Lauren Schlau Consulting
New Trends in Downtown Clean & Safe, Homeless Solutions
Learn what is new and best management practices from partners who have worked with high density downtowns and homeless populations.
- Kerry Morrison, Executive Director, Hollywood
Entertainment District BID
- Kalie Standish, Associate Director of Community Engagement, People Assisting The Homeless (PATH)
- Bahija Hamraz, Executive Director, Downtown San
Diego Partnership’s Clean & Safe Program
- Michael Ault, Executive Director, Downtown Sacramento Partnership
Successful Public Spaces
Public Spaces are great to engage your community and activate and refresh your downtown district. Explore solutions from the cost-effective and practical to the outrageous - with the goal of reclaiming these spaces for all people and modes.
- Chris Beynon, AICP, Director of Planning & Design Services, MIG Consulting
- Kraig Kojian, President & CEO, Downtown Long Beach
Tech Tools to Engage Consumers/Business Owners /Partners and Tracking Data
Did you know 7.4 billion devices are being used? That is more devices than people on planet earth. Join in for a discussion on new tech ways to engage your customers and community partners; working with new web-based responsive designs; and tracking data to tell your BIDs story.
- Jim Blakeslee, Owner, Geocentric
- BongHwan "BH" Kim, Vice President & Executive Director, The Malin Burnham San Diego Center for Civic Engagement
- Kent Smith, Executive Director, L.A. Fashion District
Social Media: What's Out There - New Media & Branding Tools
Social media is changing every day - new algorithms, new tools. Learn about the latest tools and how to stay current with social media to brand your district.
- Dennis Erokan, President, The Placemaking Group
- Jessica Lall, Executive Director, South Park BID
- Julie Korinke, Communications Manager, Downtown Long Beach Associates
- Blage Zelalich, Deputy Director, San Jose Downtown Association
Small Business Financing Options & Economic Development Trends
Learn about statewide economic development trends, and how to support your small business community with a presentation of financing tools.
- Antonio Pizano, Director of Small Business Lending - West, VEDC
- JSusan Lamping, Vice President of Community Lending, CDC Small Business Financing
- Nick Miluso, Lead Loan Officer, Accion
- John Lambeth, President, Civitas
Infill Development, Innovation, Lean Urban Design and Tactical Urbanism
Learn how the State of California is changing the rules about ‘infill development,’ and talk with architects that are pioneering ways to fit new urban development into existing entitlements and how tactical urbanism is transforming districts.
- Howard Blackson, Urban Designer and Accredited New Urbanist
- Mike Burnett, AIA, FoundationForForm Architecture & Development
- Bill Fulton, Director - Planning, Neighborhoods, and Economic Development Department, City of San Diego
- Tiffany Bromfield, CEO, San Diego Business Improvement District Council
12:30pm - 1:30pm: Lunch
2:00pm - 4:00pm: Tours
Downtown Clean & Safe, Homeless Solutions: Led by San Diego Partnership
Little Italy Tour:Trolley to Little Italy with the Little Italy District Director and learn about redevelopment and the challenges and opportunities with ethnic enclaves. Led by the Little Italy Association of San Diego.
Barrio Logan Arts Tour: Tour San Diego's Barrio Art District and view the revival of San Diego's cultural and artistic heart. Guests will tour a one of a dozen working art collectives, the San Diego campus of the Woodbury School of Architecture, the vast public art murals of Chicano Park, and La Bodega art gallery.
4:30 - 6:30pm: Networking Mixer
Last chance to network with your peers at Bar Basic, 3410 10th Ave., San Diego, CA.