The place management industry is growing as urban areas around the world are experiencing a remarkable renaissance. You are on the front lines of solving challenges related to placemaking, economic development, urban planning, and branding. Share your best practices with the world and be recognized for your exceptional work, by entering the IDA Downtown Achievement Awards presented by ABM! Click here to see the award categories.
Full descriptions of the new awards opportunities are below.
Bragging rights: Award winners are highlighted on the IDA website and take center stage during the 63rd Annual Conference & Tradeshow in Winnipeg. Winners could also be showcased in the Inspired by IDA newsletter.
The 2017 Downtown Achievement Awards open Monday, March 27th!
(Deadline is Friday, June 9th at 11:59pm Eastern)
Submission entry prices are: $275 for members and $375 for nonmembers
Note: IDA has permission to publish this submission in a comprehensive awards document.
Submitters must include:
- A two-page summary in PDF format (no more than 1,200 words)
- A PowerPoint presentation (no more than 12 slides)
Submitters may include:
- Audio and/or video uploads (no more than two)
Submitters who are consultants and/or corporations must include:
- A reference letter from the downtown organization they are representing
2017 Jurors’ Criteria
Downtown organizations submitting in ANY category: please be very specific on your exact role in the development of this project when entering your submission. This can be reflected easiest within the two-page summary.
Submissions are judged on the following criteria:
- Innovation: Does the project or program offer an innovative or unique approach to a downtown management or development challenge?
- Replication: Does the entry present a solution others could modify for their own downtown circumstances?
- Representation: Is the project or program inclusive? Were partnerships employed to get the job done? Was the community involved in the effort? Please specify the role of the applicant and the downtown organization.
- Consultants, please encourage the downtown you want to represent to submit the award. If the consultant is submitting, please complete the Reference Letter portion of the application.
- Sustainability: Sustainability can be defined as:
the longevity of a program (growth, self-funding, self-sustaining)
the positive environmental impact of a program (environmentally conscious)
Entries will be judged on one or both.
- Execution: What were the steps leading up to the outcome of the project?
- Outcome: Was the impact of the effort significant? How was it measured? Was it compared to an initial goal? Describe how your project benefits the downtown and your organization.
The Downtown Achievement Awards present three chances to win: the Pinnacle Award, the Award of Excellence, and the Merit Award.
Pinnacle Award: The Pinnacle Award represents the most creative and inspiring innovations in the industry. The submission far surpasses the juror criteria.
Award of Excellence: The Award of Excellence exceeds the juror criteria and denotes an excellent response to an industry challenge.
Certificate of Merit: The Certificate of Merit meets the juror criteria and is considered a standard best practice in the place management industry.
*Lastly, the Awards Committee does take into account the size/budget differences associated with project submissions and each project is evaluated independently of these issues.